In parentheses, you will find the Missouri GLE the objective meets and the
learning styles used based on VARK (visual, auditory, reading/writing and
kinesthetic) learning styles.
Guided and Independent Reading Objectives:
within guided reading groups. (CA R1D4a; R)
Students will adjust their reading rate to the difficulty of the text they are
reading during guided reading groups. (CA R1D4b; A)
(CA R3C4e; V, R).
Students will identify and explain author's purpose in various texts by
Jean Fritz (CA R3C4i; A, R).
Other Activity Objectives:
written about by Jean Fritz (CA W3C4 and CA W1A4; R).
Students will use research process skills to research two chosen topics
written about by Jean Fritz (IL1A-D4; R).
government. Students in groups will choose a side and defend it.
From Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education:
Use details from text to
• retell main ideas
• organize a sequence of events
• identify cause and effect
• draw conclusions
• compare and contrast texts
• make predictions
• make inferences
• distinguish between fact and opinion
• identify and explain author's purpose
• make inferences about problems and solutions
W3C: Expository and Persuasive Writing
Write expository and persuasive paragraphs with
• a main idea or point to prove
• three or more supporting details
• a concluding sentence
CA W1A4: Writing Process
• independently use a simple graphic organizer in prewriting
• generate a draft
• routinely revise, edit and proofread
• independently publish writing
1. Develop and apply effective research process skills to gather, analyze and
IL1A: Research Plan
and purpose for inquiry
in own words
This is a great video if you can get your hands on it, available on cassette.
Another option is to simple use these resources from Scholastic.com:
|Unit 6: Jean Fritz
|Why care about
Miller, P. (2001).
Learning Styles: The
Multimedia of the Mind.
Retrieved from ERIC
|Lessons and Other Resources
by: Amy Fine